Are you looking for a homemade cough syrup that can calm down your cough, soothe your sore throat, reduce congestion and boost your immunity? All of the above you can achieve with this simple homemade syrup recipe for the whole family that you can do easily in the conform of your kitchen! Unfortunately, we are not only in cold and flu season but also in the middle of a global pandemic named Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). So, a simple homemade syrup never came as handy! The good news is that you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen!
I help people be the healthiest that they can through herbal remedies formulated by myself and complementary medicine consultancy. You can contact me here for more information.
This syrup contains garlic, turmeric, ginger, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Why are these ingredients are so important for immunity, cough, congestion, sore throat and viral infections?
- Garlic is one of the best herbs to treat sore throats, colds, flus, sore and sluggish digestion. It’s sulphur compounds and essential oils have potent antibacterial, antiviral and vermifuge properties making garlic a powerful internal and external antiseptic that can be used to treat several infections. It also boosts the immune system by promoting the production of immune cells.
- Lemon juice is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, it can help to support your immune system and calm down a chest cough and fight colds and flu symptoms.
- Honey has a long been used for the treatment of cold and flu symptoms. It has antimicrobial properties and it reduces acute cough caused by upper respiratory tract infections and soothes sore throat. Just bare in mind that honey should not be given to babies less than 1 year old.
- Turmeric is a warm and pungent herb rich in antioxidants and vitamin E and has powerful anti-inflammatory effects. It has been used in Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine to treat chest colds and coughs.
- Ginger contains natural antihistamine and strong anti-inflammatory properties, it is a strong decongestant and has been use traditionally for the treatment of colds, flu, sore throat and respiratory congestion.
- Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which can be very helpful to fight coughs, congestion and respiratory infections.
- Cayenne is rich in vitamins A and C, it boosts the immune system, is an analgesic and as a circulatory spice it also promotes good heart heath.
Finally, black pepper has been a well-known remedy for the treatment of sore throat, viral respiratory infections and cough relief.
50 g / 1.76 oz of garlic
50 ml / 3.4 tsp of lemon juice
50 ml / 3.4 tsp of honey
30 g / 1 oz of turmeric root or 15 g / 1 tsp of turmeric root powder
30 g / 1 oz of ginger
15 ml / 1tsp of apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Place the garlic, lemons, turmeric root and ginger in a bowel warm water with vinegar for 30 min to wash any impurities.
- Wash garlic, lemons, turmeric root and ginger with water.
- Peel the garlic and cut turmeric root and ginger.
- Squeeze the lemons to extract the juice.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor, blend everything until a puree consistency is achieved.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week and take three teaspoons per day with meals. If you already have symptoms you can take up to one tablespoon three times per day.
Checkout the ingredients above and do make the effort, you will be amazed with results! Take this through the year, not just during cold and flu season, and see the results for yourself! Let me know if you have any questions here.